Music Choices for your Wedding: First Dance

February 24, 2009

The first dance should reflect your relationship and your new marriage. This can be a song that has special meaning tied to it within your relationship. You can have your band learn and play this song, or just have them play the CD.

If you have learned a choreographed dance to a specific song, I definitely recommend using the CD. Bands may switch around the song a bit and that could really get confusing when you're out on the dance floor in front of everyone!

Here are a few of my favorites that I've seen at weddings:
The Book of Love - Peter Gabriel
Someone to Watch over Me – Billie Holiday
Time After Time (acoustic version) – Cyndi Lauper with Sarah McLaughlin
Collide - Howie Day
Forever Love - Anna Nalick
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (choreographed dance)
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
Somewhere Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin (guests ahhed as this started playing! Classic.)

Note from our guest blogger, Scott Jones:
I think this is the one part of a wedding reception where I try to provide the least amount of input on. I truly believe that a 1st dance song should be 100% special and unique to each bride & groom. It's a personal thing, so I try to steer clear from making suggestions about the all important and sentimental 1st dance! :)

Scott's top 5 favorites:
1. Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
2. I Wanna Know - Joe
3. Better Together - Jack Johnson
4. Home - Michael Buble
5. Sweet Pea - Amos Lee

Any comments on YOUR favorite first dance songs are welcome!