First Look

March 26, 2009


With every wedding we plan, there is always much discussion into the timing of the events of the day: hair and makeup start time, picture time, cocktail hour, first dance, etc. I've found that, unless your ceremony is in the early afternoon and the reception begins early evening, it can be difficult for bridal parties to fit in all their pictures AND enjoy all of the wedding festivities that we've spent so much time and energy planning. And since many weddings today all take place at one location immediately following one another, this post is very relevant!

That is why I and all of the awesome photographers I work with highly recommend the "First Look". I have found that it allows you to get some amazing shots, be more relaxed in the pictures yourself, as well as actually ENJOY the ENTIRE wedding reception, including cocktail hour.

More than half of our 2009 clients are opting for the First Look on their wedding day.

Here is an awesome first look picture from Tracy and Jeff's wedding, courtesy of Genevieve Nisly.



Of course if the couple is into the traditional first look of seeing each other on the aisleway at the ceremony, that is great and we always plan accordingly! (It is kind of fun to hide the bride from the groom). But I am excited to post a link to the excellent blog of Jasmine Star Photography. Besides being a truly gifted photographer located in the Southern California area, Jasmine is a talented writer and always has interesting articles with all of her wedding photos. She wrote a post all about the First Look and it really captures the essence and description. I am doing this on my own wedding day! Here is a link, with permission from Jasmine to repost.

Here is a great excerpt from the post, but be sure to read the ENTIRE version!

Many brides worry about forsaking the moment the groom first sees his bride walk down the aisle, but I think it's just as special having seen JD before the ceremony, if not more. Because we saw each other before the ceremony, I was SO much more calm and relaxed. I descended the aisle looking at JD, but at the same time looking and my friends and family surrounding us, and appreciating the moment of my parents giving me away. It was as if I was truly in the moment, and not just focusing on the man at the end of the aisle.

I only wish I would have worked with Jasmine while I lived in LA! So, while we in Ohio patiently wait for the weather to warm up so that we can enjoy outside, sit back, sip a glass of wine or even a mojito to add to the feel, and have fun gazing at her beautiful photography as well as the gorgeous California backdrop.